Falls and injury statics for senior and elderly
The rate of fall increases tremendously each year.
- Around one third of the population in the age group of 65 falls each year. This risk of fall increases with increase of age. It has been noticed that in the age group of 80, around half of the population suffers from falls.
- Most of the falls are unreported. Most of the people ignore falls. They think that this is the natural signs of age.
- It has been noticed that those who are discharged from the hospital (who were admitted for hip fracture)(around 53% of the elderly) are likely to fall again within the next few months.
- Around 87% of the fractures among the elderly are due to falls.
- 25% of the people are admitted in the hospitals because of falls. 40% of the people admitted are no longer capable of independent living. And, 25% of them die within a year.
- Most of the falls don’t cause any injury but around 47% of the internal injuries due to falls cannot be cured without assistance.
- Those who are unable to get up on their own after falls, have a negative impact on their lifestyle. The breakdown of the muscle cell starts within 30 – 60 minutes of fall. This can lead to pneumonia, hypothermia, dehydration and other related problems.
Injuries in Canada
- Around 4.27 million Canadians within the age group of 12 or above suffers from injury which is severe enough to limit their daily activities. There has been an increase in injuries up to 2% as compared to that in 2001(15% in the year of 2009 – 2010). Moreover, this is assumed to grow up to 18% by the end of 2020.
- Young people in the age group of 12 – 19 have the highest chances of getting injured. 27% of this age group (12 – 19) suffers from injury which is twice as compared to adults (14%), and thrice as compared to senior citizens (9%).
- 66% of the injuries among young people are caused due to sports. Among adults (20 – 64) 47% of the injuries are caused due to sports and work. Whereas among older generation (>64) 55% of the injuries are caused due to falls.
- Overall, if we see, then most of injuries are caused due to falls.
What are the factors that cause falls?
17012 Total Views 5 Views Today